Now accepting submissions for Words on Words community art show
Submission deadline: Saturday, Apr. 30
The LAVA Center is now collecting submissions for Words on Words, a community art show that will be on display at the community arts center in June, 2022.
“Words on Words” will present works of art that combine words and visual elements, that respond and reflect upon language and/or writing.
Writers and visual artists are invited to submit work that in some way responds to language and/or writing. Examples can include poetry, prose or quotes, displayed visually; and visual art that incorporates words.
The show will be curated by Michael Travisano, a local author exploring the landscape of language, and the LAVA team. Michael will select quotes about language to be displayed for the show.
- Submissions are due Saturday, Apr. 30.
- Submissions must be in JPG or PDF format.
- Submissions must be two-dimensional (wall-mountable) and family-friendly.
- All submissions must include an artist statement, a few sentences or short paragraph about the work and how it relates to the theme.
- All submissions must include the dimensions of the work.
- If works use words that are not the artist’s, they must be accurately attributed.
Email submissions by Saturday, Apr. 30 to project coordinator Michael Travisano at email@example.com.
The artists will be notified by Saturday, May 14 if their work is accepted into the show. If accepted, there will be a $5–$10 sliding scale fee per artist to cover gallery fees, reception materials, and promo. Artists will be responsible for the physical presentation of their work. Work will need to be brought to The LAVA Center the week of May 16. There will be a reception on Saturday, June 4 and the show will run through the month of June.
“Language is imperfect, poetry, perfectly imperfect.”James Gleick